WhatsApp is one of the most popular instant messaging apps globally with over 2 billion active users. Despite its user-friendly interface, there are several hidden features and tricks that can enhance your experience while using the app.
Enable two-step verification
- Two-step verification adds an extra layer of security to your WhatsApp account.
- To enable it, go to WhatsApp Settings > Account > Two-step verification > Enable.
Mute chats and groups
- To avoid constant notifications from a specific chat or group, you can mute it for a specified period.
- To mute a chat or group, go to the chat/group info > Mute > select the desired time period.
- WhatsApp has several keyboard shortcuts that can help you navigate the app faster.
- For example, typing “`” opens the emoji panel, while “ctrl + enter” sends the message.
Pin chats and mark as unread
- Pinning a chat keeps it at the top of the chats list, while marking a chat as unread helps you keep track of important messages.
- To pin a chat, long press on it > Pin > Pin to top.
- To mark as unread, long press on a chat > Mark as unread.
Back up and restore chat history
- Regularly backing up your WhatsApp chats ensures you never lose important conversations.
- To back up, go to WhatsApp Settings > Chats > Chat Backup.
- To restore, install WhatsApp on a new device and verify your phone number. The app will automatically restore the latest backup.
- You can customize the notification tone, vibration pattern, and LED color for each chat or group.
- To customize, go to the chat/group info > Custom Notifications.
Use broadcast lists
- Broadcast lists allow you to send a message to multiple contacts at once without creating a group.
- To create a broadcast list, go to WhatsApp Chats > New broadcast.
- To add recipients, tap on the plus sign and select the contacts you want to add.
- Archiving a chat removes it from your chats list but keeps the conversation accessible.
- To archive a chat, swipe left on the chat and tap on the Archive icon.
- To access archived chats, go to WhatsApp Chats > Archive.
- You can share your live location with friends and family for a specified period.
- To share your live location, go to a chat > Attach > Location > Share live location.
- You can set the duration for which you want to share your location.
Use WhatsApp Web
- WhatsApp Web allows you to use WhatsApp on your computer.
- To use WhatsApp Web, go to web.whatsapp.com on your computer and scan the QR code from WhatsApp on your phone.
These tips and tricks can help you use WhatsApp more effectively and improve your communication experience. From using broadcast lists to sharing live location, there are several hidden features that you can utilize to make the most out of the app.
Note: This article was written with the latest available information at the time of writing, some features may have changed in more recent updates of the app.